Our website is user-supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission but at no additional cost to you. Learn more >
HelloFresh is a popular meal kit delivery service that delivers pre-portioned ingredients to your doorstep. If you’re a subscriber, you may be wondering how long the meat in your HelloFresh kit will last. Proper storage and handling are essential for maintaining the quality and safety of meat, which can spoil quickly if not stored properly. But how long does HelloFresh meat last?
HelloFresh, like many meal kit delivery services, typically provides fresh ingredients that are meant to be used within a certain timeframe to ensure the quality and safety of the meals. The specific shelf life of the meat provided by HelloFresh can vary depending on factors like the type of meat, how it’s packaged, the temperature during delivery, and the use of any preservatives. In general, you can expect HelloFresh meat to last 2- 5 days.
How Long Does HelloFresh Meat Last?
HelloFresh sources its meat from trusted suppliers and ensures that it arrives at your doorstep in insulated packaging to keep it fresh. However, once the package is opened, you should consume the meat within a certain period to ensure its quality and safety.
According to HelloFresh’s guidelines, the shelf life of meat depends on the type and cut of meat. Here’s a general guide to the shelf life of HelloFresh meat:
- Poultry (Chicken, Turkey): Raw poultry should be used within 1 to 2 days of delivery. If you won’t be able to use it in that time frame, you can consider freezing it. Frozen poultry can last for several months.
- Beef, Pork, Lamb: Raw beef, pork, and lamb cuts should be used within 3 to 5 days of delivery. As with poultry, freezing is an option if you won’t be able to use them within that time frame.
- Fish and Seafood: Raw fish and seafood are highly perishable. They should be used within 1 to 2 days of delivery. If you don’t plan to use them right away, freezing is a good idea.
Always check the “use by” or “sell by” dates on the packaging provided by HelloFresh. If you have concerns about the freshness of the meat, it’s best to reach out to HelloFresh’s customer support for specific advice.
Remember, if you’re not planning to cook the ingredients right away, it’s often a good practice to freeze them to extend their freshness. Be sure to follow proper food safety guidelines when handling and storing raw meat.
Keep in mind that these are general guidelines and may vary depending on factors like the temperature of your refrigerator, the freshness of the meat when you receive it, and the packaging.
Best Practices for Storing HelloFresh Meat
To ensure the quality and safety of your HelloFresh meat, it’s essential to store it properly. Here are some best practices for storing HelloFresh meat:
- Refrigerate the meat as soon as it arrives: Once you receive your HelloFresh kit, refrigerate the meat immediately. If you’re not going to cook it within a day or two, consider freezing it.
- Keep the meat in its original packaging: HelloFresh packages its meat in vacuum-sealed bags that are designed to keep the meat fresh. It’s best to leave the meat in its original packaging until you’re ready to cook it.
- Store the meat in the coldest part of your refrigerator: The coldest part of your refrigerator is usually the back of the bottom shelf. Store the meat in this area to ensure that it stays as cold as possible.
- Keep the meat away from other foods: To prevent cross-contamination, store the meat away from other foods in your refrigerator. Ideally, the meat should be on a separate shelf or in a separate drawer.
- Don’t overcrowd your refrigerator: If your refrigerator is too full, it may not be able to maintain a consistent temperature, which can cause your food to spoil more quickly.
How to Tell if HelloFresh Meat Has Spoilt
Even if you follow all the best practices for storing HelloFresh meat, there’s still a chance that it can go bad. Here are some signs that your HelloFresh meat has gone bad:
- Foul smell: If the meat has a foul or off smell, it’s a sign that it has gone bad.
- Slimy texture: If the meat feels slimy or sticky to the touch, it’s a sign that it has gone bad.
- Gray or brown color: If the meat has a gray or brown color, it’s a sign that it has started to spoil.
- Mold: If you see mold on the meat, it’s a sign that it has gone bad.
If you notice any of these signs, do not eat the meat. Discard it immediately to prevent foodborne illness.
Tips for Extending the Shelf Life of HelloFresh Meat
If you want to extend the shelf life of your HelloFresh meat, there are some things you can do to make it last longer. Here are some tips for extending the shelf life of HelloFresh meat:
- Freeze the meat: If you’re not going to cook the meat within a day or two, consider freezing it. Freezing can extend the shelf life of meat by several months.
- Use a food thermometer: Using a food thermometer can help you ensure that the meat is cooked to the proper temperature, which can kill harmful bacteria and extend its shelf life.
- Cook the meat within the recommended time frame: As we mentioned earlier, the shelf life of HelloFresh meat depends on the type and cut of meat. Make sure to cook the meat within the recommended time frame to ensure its quality and safety.
- Use proper cooking methods: Cooking meat at the proper temperature and for the recommended amount of time can help extend its shelf life. For example, cooking ground beef to an internal temperature of 160°F can help kill harmful bacteria and make the meat last longer.
HelloFresh meat can last for different periods depending on the type and cut of meat. To ensure the quality and safety of your meat, it’s essential to follow best practices for storing and handling it. Keep the meat refrigerated, use proper cooking methods, and pay attention to signs that the meat has gone bad. By following these tips, you can enjoy fresh and delicious meals with HelloFresh meat for longer.